The FERC commenting deadline for the Ashokan Pumped Storage Project is this Monday, April 12! Comments can be made until 3pm EST, but get them in ASAP.
We’re advising everyone to submit their comments this weekend, to avoid any last-minute issues with the submission process on Monday.
If you’ve already submitted a comment, that’s great! You can use this weekend to check in with your friends and neighbors and help them submit their own comment. Remember, our goal is to show overwhelming opposition to Premium Energy’s flawed proposal with an outpouring of informed comments, with the ultimate hope that FERC will either deny Premium Energy’s proposal, or force them to resubmit. This will buy us more time to organize our opposition efforts.
Need help with your FERC comment? Use these handy resources:
- Step-by-step guidance for submitting to FERC online. If you find the FERC submission website tricky, this page will walk you through all the steps.
- Example comment to FERC. Use this template to help format/write your own letter. If you can write a comment in your own voice, that’s great, but if you’re short on time, feel free to copy parts of this letter.
- The Save Catskills Preserve website. Our coalition’s “Take Action” page has more information about how to prepare your FERC comment, plus how to file as an intervenor if you think the pumped storage project could impact you directly. (Yes, you can send a comment to FERC and file as an intervenor—both share the same deadline of April 12!)
Latest News & Updates:
- The NYC DEP has come out forcefully against the proposal. Read their comments here.
- The River / Chronogram posted an excellent article on the project you can read here. It begins: “Premium Energy Holdings is clearly in over its head….”
- NYS Senator Michelle Hinchey hosted a press conference on April 8th to bring together local groups opposed to the project, including a representative from the Coalition to Save Catskills Preserve. Watch the recording here. So far, this event has generated helpful press coverage from MidHudson News and Kingston Wire.
- The Daily Freeman released a misleading article that makes it sound like Premium Energy has rescinded their proposal. They haven’t! Be advised that there has been no formal promise from Premium Energy to alter or re-submit their proposal, meaning we still need to FIGHT the Ashokan Pumped Storage Project!
- Jim Sofranko has submitted comments to FERC on behalf of the Town of Olive, highlighting many of the flaws and shortcomings of Premium Energy’s proposal. Read his comments here.
We’ll continue to add news and updates to the ‘Press’ section of savecatskillspreserve.org ⟶
Thanks for your support!