Right now, the best way to take action is to make your voice heard.
Follow the below steps to voice your opposition to Premium Energy Holdings, LLC’s proposed Ashokan Pumped Storage Project.
STEP 1: SUBMIT A LETTER OF OPPOSITION TO FERC BY APRIL 12.
Premium Energy has submitted a proposal to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) that seeks permission to do a feasibility study that would clarify the project’s scope and viability. Right now, we need to stop Premium Energy’s path towards gaining permission to move forward by voicing clear concerns and flaws with their proposal.
For your reference, here is a link to Premium Energy’s Proposal PDF.
For helpful information on making a successful FERC submission, you can jump to this point in Ginger Strand’s presentation.
The best way to make an impact is by articulating clear flaws with the proposed project, such as:
- The Catskills are a State Preserve protected by the NY State Constitution
- It would increase turbidity in the Ashokan Watershed and negatively impact NYC’s drinking water
- It would be detrimental to our local community by disrupting our economy and displacing residents
- For a thorough list of key proposal flaws, view this handy Reasons to Write No PDF.
- Here is a Ferc Comment Example. We urge you to write from your own perspective and in your own voice, but feel free to pull from the linked template if helpful.
The deadline to submit comments to FERC is April 12, 2021. Your letters can be up to 6,000 characters in length, and should include your name, address, and docket number P-15056-000.
Once completed, you can either:
- Submit your comments online by clicking the button below. (If you need help with FERC’s website, click here for step-by-step instructions.)
- Or: Mail your comments to: Kimberly D. Bose, Secretary, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, 888 First Street, NE, Room 1A, Washington, DC 20426 and make sure to reference docket: P-15056-000
STEP 2: DIRECTLY AFFECTED PARTIES MAY FILE TO BE AN INTERVENOR BY APRIL 12
If the Ashokan Pumped Storage Project puts you at risk of losing your home via eminent domain, or if you believe it could directly affect you in another way, we recommend that you apply to be an intervenor. This process shares the same FERC deadline of April 12, 2021.
Please see this FERC guide for information on this process, and in your filing, make sure to reference docket P-15056.
STEP 3: CONTACT YOUR LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES
Call, write, or comment on the social media accounts of your local representatives and tell them: the Ashokan Pumped Storage Project is not good for the Catskills!
In your messages, you can reference the official project name: FERC Project No. 15056-000, Ashokan Pumped Storage Project, submitted by Premium Energy Holdings LLC, Walnut, CA.
Representative Contact Info:
- Congressman Antonio Delgado, DC office, 202-225-5614
- US Senator Chuck Schumer, DC office , 202-224-6542
- US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, DC office, 202-224-4451