The Trail Conference opposes a proposed hydroelectric facility that would irreversibly damage areas of the Catskill Forest Preserve. We need your help to stop this ill-conceived project.
Premium Energy Holdings of Southern California has proposed a pumped-storage hydroelectric facility within the boundaries of the Forever Wild lands of the Catskill Forest Preserve that would have negative impacts on the Ashokan Reservoir and surrounding area. This proposal directly threatens the experience of trail users in the Catskill Forest Preserve, the ecological sustainability of the Forest Preserve, trout breeding grounds, the quality of the New York City water supply, and so much more. The Trail Conference has submitted a formal request to be an intervenor to the proposed Ashokan hydro dams.
A broad range of local nonprofit groups opposing the project are formally commenting and seeking status as intervenors:
- Adirondack Mountain Club
- Ashokan Center
- Ashokan-Pepacton Chapter, Trout Unlimited
- Catskill 3500 Club
- The Catskill Center
- Catskill Fly Fishing Center & Museum
- Catskill Mountain Chapter, Trout Unlimited
- Catskill Mountain Club
- Mountain Cloves Scenic Byway
- New York-New Jersey Trail Conference
- NYS Council, Trout Unlimited
- Sierra Club, Atlantic Chapter
- Woodstock Land Conservancy